Set on the historical Nile River, Cairo is the capital of Egypt. The very name brings fresh images of pyramids and interesting golden era of the Egyptian culture popular even to date. Well pyramids are not all that Cairo or any part of Egypt has to offer. There is more to the charm and heritage that a traveler can unbox here in Cairo and still sing song of praise for the beautiful and sprawling city.
The largest city in Egypt, Cairo has a lot of magic to unfold. Founded in 2,000 BC and ruled by King Menes, here we bring you 10 must visit spot while you’re in Cairo. Read along to know more-
- Pyramids of Giza- the list doesn’t look good without the pyramids at the top. The oldest of the 7 wonders in the world, these pyramids are real marvel created by human hands that have stand out untouched by time and history. The place is an archaeological site in the Giza plateau and is located in the suburbs of Cairo. Referring to the fourth dynasty of the Egyptian pharaoh or ruler Khufu. Archaeologists claim that the pyramid was used as a tomb which was built around 2560 BC. Interesting eh?
- Great Sphinx- a limestone statue with a body of a lion with a human head is another marvel to watch. Standing on the banks of River Nile in Giza, it the oldest known monumental sculpture in Egypt resting since 2532 BC.
- Islamic Cairo- it is the central Cairo and is popular for the rich architectural designs, historical background and monuments that the place boasts about. Most of the monuments found here are recognized UNESCO World Heritage Site. Many historical mosques like the Al-Hakim Mosque, Mosque of Ibn Tulun, Al Azhar University (the oldest university in the world) add four moons to its heritage.
- Egyptian Museum-nothing can really justify the history and wonders of Egypt more than the Egyptian Museum. With over 100,000 antiquity and ruins this place is simply awe-inspiring because you get to know and encounter so much of history you didn’t knew already. The popular Tutankhamun’s tomb, the gold mask of Tutankhamun, State of Khafre is some of the exclusive collection you get to see.
- Al Azhar Park- one of Cairo’s largest parks, the Al Azhar Park exhibits serene gardens, fountains, restaurants some beautiful spots to sit idle and watch the beauty of the place. The place was a gift to Cairo from Aga Khan IV. Any nature lover would love the place as there is so much peace and calmness here.
- Dahshur-a glimpse of ancient Egypt is here what you can expect. This place is again one of the archeological site and has 5 pyramids to its name out of which 3 pyramids stands prominent-The Red Pyramid or the North Pyramid is popular because it was the first attempt by Egypt to build a pyramid, the Bent Pyramid is unique because of its shape and the Black Pyramid which got its name by blackish hue of the façade over the time. These pyramids are what it feels are the tested ones before the build something like the Pyramid of Giza. No doubt practice does make men perfect!
- Memphis- about 20 km away from Giza, this place was founded by the pharaoh Menes. A beautiful city and ancient capital of Egypt, Memphis has witnessed history throughout times. What you can find today in Memphis are relics of stone temples, remnants of the necropolis, statues and ruins of royal palaces. Memphis cherished golden era in the past with the city being the major center of trade, commerce and religion.
- Coptic Cairo-
a chunk of the Old Cairo, this place is the oldest in the city. There is something fantastic about this place as you can witness a medley of the ancient churches and adorned mosques’ relics which bring along a historic vibes among its visitors. The popular Babylonian fortress stands here. To know about Cairo’s glorious past this place is the right pick.
Where to Eat?
After all this hustle in the history and all, you’d for sure like to taste some of the local and finest Egyptian grub. Zitouni or the Four Seasons is the place to authentic Egyptian menus. The hotel serves 24 hours with the finest dishes and wine. Some other popular restaurants are Fayruz Lebanese Restaurant, Koshary Abou Tarek, Birdcage, and Shogun Japanese Restaurant.
Do add Cairo to your travel list if you haven’t done yet. It’s for sure, Cairo won’t let you down.